WELCOME to First Chinese Baptist Church. We are located at 16835 Brookhurst Street, one block north of Warner Avenue, across the street from Mile Square Park. Our congregation is committed to following Jesus Christ and making an impact for God in our community.
Every Sunday we offer worship services, Bible study, and training opportunities for many ages in several languages (English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Vietnamese). We offer programs for children, youth, and adults. We also have fellowships (please see our website for their schedule).
If God should lead you to visit our church, please be sure to introduce yourself to one of our pastors. May God's presence and blessing be with you.
Loving God, Loving People, Making Jesus Known.
Matthew 22:37-40; 28:19-20
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Statement of Faith
- WE BELIEVE THE BIBLE TO BE GOD'S WORD, whose very words in the original writings were inspired by God, without error of any kind, and the final authority in declaring what is right and true. The sixty-six books of our Bible are the complete written revelation of God to man, so that man may be adequately equipped for every good work. (2Tim 3:16-17; Mt 5:18; 2Pet 1:20-21)
- WE BELIEVE IN ONE GOD, holy and infinitely perfect, who co-eternally exists in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (the Trinity) in loving unity. God is the creator of all that exists outside of Himself, having limitless knowledge and sovereign power. (Deut 6:4, 1Tim 2:5, 1Cor 8:6; Jn 17:11; Mt 28:19-20; 2Cor 13:14; Col 1:16; Jn 1:1, 14, Jn 10:30)
- WE BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and was born of Mary, a virgin. He is the eternal Son of God in the flesh, in all ways fully God, and fully human as well (Mt 1:18-23; Jn 1:1, Phil 2:6-8; Heb 1:3; 1Jn 5:20). He lived a sinless life and died on the cross as a substitutionary sacrifice in the place of sinners (1Cor 5:21). He was buried, but God raised Him from the dead (1Cor 15:4). He ascended in bodily form to the Father in heaven and will return again to the earth to rule His kingdom (Jn 14:2-3).
- WE BELIEVE THE TOTAL DEPRAVITY OF HUMANS. Man was originally created in the image of God, and he fell through sin, and, as a consequence of his sin, lost relationship with God. We believe that this spiritual death has been transmitted to the entire human race of man, the Man Christ Jesus alone being excepted. (Gen 1:26; 2:17; 6:5; Pss 14:1-3; 51:5; Jer17:9; Jn3:6; 5:40; 6:35; Rom. 3:10–19; 8:6–7; Eph. 2:1–3; 1 Tim. 5:6; 1 Jn 3:8).
- WE BELIEVE IN SALVATION by grace alone, through faith alone, because of Christ alone (Eph 2:8-9). Having been brought into union with Christ through faith, every sin has been forgiven and Christ's perfect righteousness has been credited to the Christian's account (1Jn 1:9). The believer is adopted into God's own family and becomes a child of God (Rom 8:15; Eph 1:5). Every Christian now lives under the watchful and nurturing care of their heavenly Father and is a co-heir with Christ of an imperishable inheritance (Heb 12:6; Eph 1:11; Col 1:12; 1Pet 1:4).
- WE BELIEVE A LIVING, SAVING FAITH will manifest itself in a positive change of heart and life (Lk 9:23; Jas 1:17). The means of the growth includes both the working out of our faith and God's work in us (Phil 2:12-13). God transforms us through the word of God (Mk 4:20; 1 Tim 4:16; 2 Tim 3:17) and the Spirit's transforming power (Rom 8:9-11; 1 Cor 3:15; 2 Cor 3:18; 2 Tim 1:14).
- WE BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, who indwells each believer and affects a positive change of heart, mind and life. Every Christian has been baptized with the Holy Spirit upon conversion (1 Cor 12:13). While there is only one baptism with the Spirit, there may be many fillings of the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:18). The Holy Spirit distributes spiritual gifts to each believer according to His will for the common good (1 Cor 12:7), sanctifies them for obedience to Christ, and glorifies the Father through them (Jn 16:7-11; Gal 5:22-23; 1 Pet 1:2).
- WE BELIEVE THE CHURCH is the assembly of Christians, who honor and obey their heavenly Father, by following the example of Christ, (Acts 2:42-47; Eph 5:22-25; Mt 16:18; 1Cor 12:12-27; Eph 1:22-23). The mission of the church is to carry out the Great Commission (Mt 28:19-20).
- WE BELIEVE WATER BAPTISM AND THE LORD'S SUPPER are the two ordinances to be observed in church life. Water baptism is an external sign of an accomplished internal reality (Rom 6:3-4). The reality is the Christian's baptism into a saving union with Christ. Water baptism is an expression as well as a celebration of this union with Christ and His body, which is the Church (1Cor 12:12-13; Col 2:12). All believers are called to be baptized (Mt 28:19-20; Acts 2:38). The Lord's Supper is the Christ-ordained means by which we remember His death for our salvation. As well as a continuing reminder, it is also a continuing celebration of our communion (fellowship) with Christ and with other believers in the unity of His body (Lk 22:19-20; 1Cor 11:26).
- WE BELIEVE THAT ALL BELIEVERS who have trusted in Jesus Christ will pass immediately into His presence at death; they will be resurrected with a new body to an eternal life of perfect love, joy, and peace in the Kingdom of God when Jesus Christ returns to earth. (2 Cor 5:8; 1 Th 4:13-17; Rev 21:1-22:6).
- WE BELIEVE IN THE JUDGMENT OF GOD. Every person without Christ stands guilty as a sinner (Rom 3:23). All those who persistently reject Jesus Christ in this present life shall be raised from the dead, come before the judgment seat of God, and throughout eternity exist in the state of conscious, unutterable, endless torment of anguish (Rev 20:11-15). The only hope is to turn in his faith to Jesus Christ alone for salvation (Acts 17:30).
WE BELIEVE GOD'S HISTORICAL PURPOSE IS TO RULE AND ESTABLISH HIS KINGDOM on earth. In the current age, all believers experience some spiritual blessings of the kingdom such as the power, entrance into and the submission to Christ as King. However, the complete fulfillment will occur when Jesus Christ returns to establish His kingdom on earth and believers receive a resurrected body, enjoying eternal life of perfect love, joy, peace. At that time every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord. (Gen 1:28; Mt 6:10, 19:28-30; Phil 2:10; Rev 21).
(Statement of Faith - Revised 2013-12-05)
One of the necessary elements of the ministry plan is a value statement. It answers "why we do what we do." In the case of our church, FCBC, Fountain Valley, the values are grounded in the Scriptures. We have preached on this from Acts 2:42-47.
Simply stated, we are committed to the following core values:
- Our Commission: We are committed to honoring and pleasing our God and our Savior, Jesus Christ by obeying His commandments and carrying out The Great Commission. (1 Cor. 10:31; Phil. 1:9-11; Col. 1:10; Heb. 13:21; 1 Pet. 4:11; Matt. 22:37-40)
- The first commandment is to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, and mind. (Matt. 22:37-38; Mark 12:28-30)
- The second commandment is that we love one another. (Matt. 22:39; Mark 12:31,33; 1 John 3:23b)
- The Great Commission is " Go therefore ... make disciples ... baptizing ... teaching to observe all ... I commanded." (Matt. 28:19-20)
- Worship: We are committed to the praising and worshipping of God together (church, families ...) and as individual believers. (Exodus 3:12; Acts 2:47; Rom. 12:1-2; Heb. 13:15-16)
- Preaching and Teaching: We are committed to the preaching, teaching, and the applying of God's Word for the transforming of individual lives, families, church, and the community, i.e., what the Bible teaches takes precedence over human opinion and church tradition. (Acts 2:42; Matt. 28:19-20; 2 Tim. 3:15-17; James 1:22)
- Prayer: We are committed to pray -- as individuals, as a family, and as a corporate body. (Acts 2:42; 1 Thes. 5:16; Matt. 7:7, 18:19; James 5:13-16)
- Fellowship: We are committed to the sharing (partnership) of, caring for, and building up of one another in Christ as a community and in small groups. (Acts 2:42,44; John 13:34-35; Rom. 15:2; 1 Cor. 12:25-27; Eph. 4:15-16)
- Ministry: We are committed to encouraging and training every Christian to utilize their spiritual gifts and to be engaged in good works. (Eph. 4:11-13)
- Evangelism: We are committed to the proclamation of the Good News of Jesus Christ, first to the Asian community in Orange County, then our nation, finally to the world and making them committed disciples of Christ. (Acts 1:8; Acts 2:47; Matt. 28:19-20)
- Multi-cultural: We are committed first to a bilingual ministry of English and Chinese speaking, then to other ethnic groups. (Acts 2:6; Acts 1:8)
- Excellence: We are committed to a Biblical standard of excellence and effectiveness in our ministries (Rom. 12:6-8; Col. 3:23; 1 Thes. 4:1; 1 Cor. 10:31)
History of Our Church
The history of First Chinese Baptist Church in Orange County is really “His story”...the story of God’s mighty work in the lives of faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. Under the guidance of Pastor Murphy and Lorna Lum, the growing FCBC family gathered in Jesus’ name: praying, worshiping, serving, equipping, loving, learning, evangelizing and glorifying God together. “...And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved” (Acts 2:47). We stand on the shoulders of spiritual giants who went before us, and we are forever grateful to God for them.
The First Chinese Baptist Church Mission started in 1977 using Trinity Baptist Church’s facility on Brookhurst Street. The leaders at our mother church, FCBCLA, had a vision to spread the gospel beyond LA County. The birth of our church started off as a small church plant, with Dr. Murphy Lum and a few faithful and dedicated families leaving Los Angeles to expand God’s kingdom into Orange County. Though we did not have a building of our own to call home, we were thankful to God for providing a place for us to start our church.
The Lord blessed and grew the new FCBC mission. During the church's first year in 1977, average attendance was about 66. Four years later, that number nearly tripled to 190. People--young and old--were coming to know the Lord, getting baptized, serving His Church and evangelizing the community. The church needed to find more space...and soon the Lord would lead them to a more expansive location. We will forever be grateful for His provision of Trinity Baptist--our first home in Orange County from 1977-1981.
The Lord opened an opportunity to grow the four-year old church by providing a new location on Hazard Avenue. It was not yet an ideal property, as there was no classroom wing to house the many Sunday School classes. But it was a place that First Chinese Baptist Mission could call her own, and gave the church much more flexibility for gathering times and space. The first assembly was, again and appropriately, a prayer meeting on April 1, 1981. Prayer meetings were and have always been a staple of ministry in FCBC, and may we continue to always seek the Lord in corporate prayer.
On July 12th, the Westminster branch of First Chinese Baptist Church was formally dedicated, and worship services began that year in the newly acquired church property on Hazard Avenue. In addition to the choir, Dr. Murphy Lum, Dr. Timothy Lin, Dr. Keung Luke and others presided over and participated in the special ceremony. FCBC has always recognized that the property the Lord has given to the church is to be used to worship Him, know Him through His Word and make Him known.
What did the Sunday School teachers do in those early days at the new Hazard Avenue location when there were not enough classrooms? They moved their classes outdoor to the parking lot, naturally! Like U.S. postal carriers who are committed to the "swift completion of their appointed rounds" no matter how brutal the weather may be, FCBC Sunday School staff continued to teach God's Word under rigged canopies. Even more remarkable, the students continued to attend, clothed in their Sunday best! Eventually, the church would complete the addition of a Christian Education (classroom) wing by the fall of 1982.
After a decade at Hazard Avenue, the church family began to outgrow its home. Another search was initiated to find a larger property. Eventually the Lord led the search committee to the current 4+ acre site in Fountain Valley--formerly the campus of Hawthorne Christian School. Finding and purchasing it was challenging enough; moving in was even more so, as the church encountered various obstacles from the city and the neighbors. But the Lord prevailed during the process, and the church's prayers, persistence and patience finally paid off when the city gave approval. Pictured here are jubilant pastors Murphy Lum and Albert Ting with church architectural consultant Percy Cheng in front of City Hall.
With the city's approval in hand, work began on remodeling the former Hawthorne Christian School into a campus that would be a suitable home for a growing church. Walls were torn down and four classrooms merged to become the sanctuary for worship. Bathrooms were refurbished; offices were partitioned and new lighting installed. And a new parking lot was paved over the back half of the lot--a necessity in car-loving Southern California. Church members waited and watched with anticipation and thankfulness to the Lord as the campus was transformed over a period of 4 months.
Recreational amenities like outdoor basketball courts and children's playgrounds are taken for granted today, but in the early years of FCBC Fountain Valley, such items were welcomed novelties. With the completion of the remodel, members quickly acclimated themselves to their new church home. Basketball games and Christmas musicals became evangelistic opportunities. English and Chinese-speaking families were invited, and children of all ages were introduced to the Lord Jesus. Outreach to the Vietnamese community had begun under a young pastor named John Nguyen and his wife Ruth.
FCBC-FV and her property exists today by God's grace because of the strong foundation first laid by the "founding families." Many have come to saving faith in Jesus Christ over the past 42 years. And the generous offerings of many members and friends 25 years ago made it possible to call this address our church home today. We are forever grateful for the families of Pastor Murphy and Lorna Lum, Loy and Ellen Chiu, Jimmy and Millie Joe, Gary and Lesley Lee, Sam and Jean Leong, Keung Luke, Harry and June Yan, Kim and Pei-Yu Wu, Daniel and Beverly Tam, and Warren and Lisa Woo.